Monday, November 13, 2006

Faerie Wings


I'm crazy for fairies. I love them! I think faeries should be free! Everyone should have one of these wonderful creatures. So, I've decided to share a free wings tutorial and a free pattern with you.
The pattern is in .pdf format, and I'm still contemplating how to get it onto my blog. Tomorrow maybe, the next day... wings today!

Here we go...
1. Begin with a template. This template is adapted from Patti Medaris Culea's Goldenrod doll pattern, which can be found in her third book, Creative Cloth Doll Courture. I enlarged the pattern and made it a bit more simple (less detailed).

2. Place the template underneath a teflon pressing sheet, butcher paper or or a piece of bakers parchment paper. The design should show through the paper.

3. Trace the template by squeezing Translucent Liquid Sculpey (TLS)onto the paper, along the lines you see from underneath. Sprinkle Pearl Ex Pigment powder onto it afterwards. I used purple.

4. To create "veins," use some beading wire to complete the wing outline. Just cut it and carefully place it in. The TLS is like glue, so it will hold the wire in place. Hold the wire down with tape. Nothing will happen when you heat set the TLS later.

5. Now that the veins are in place, add a layer of Angelina Fiber. I used Gold Iris Mix and Crystal Amethyst. Afterwards, sprinkle in more Pigment powder. I used a bit of Gold and Pearl.

6. HEAT SET THE WINGS.
To iron, simply place another layer of baking paper (teflon sheet, etc) over the wet wing, and iron.

7. Carefully peel the wing off the paper.

8. Paint the "veins." I used antique gold.

You can add some beads to the wings for a bit of glamour. I attached Swarovski crystals to the tips.


Check back again soon for the paper pattern!

5 comments:

  1. I love your fairy she is very beautiful and her wings are wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:08 PM

    Wow, Rivkah, what absolutely fantastic wings! They are gorgeous!
    Kaaren Lynch
    Reader of DollStreet Journal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your wing pattern. I have never made a doll, but I have been inspired to have a go this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fairy art work, simply beautiful!

    Take care
    Marinela

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!