Saturday, April 28, 2007

kids art zine

My girls and I are starting a new project. It's a mixed media blowout! I've made a list of all the things that "interest me" in art, but have not "had time for" and decided I'll "get my kids in on it." That way, I'll end up helping, and I bet the project will come out a family treasure.

Here is a list of things I've been tossing around in my mind:

  • Peacocks (I love peacocks. But the're not dolls LOL so I haven't had much ambition)
  • Lampshade (I want something "artsy fartsy" and recently my only lamp broke, so I've got this lampshade that is just sitting there screaming, "give me life!")
  • Quilt (I haven't done much quilting but I just feel like playing-)
This will be a long project but who cares!

I found a picture of an antique peacock quilt block on the intrenet. I really like the way it looks.
Here's the block:
This is what the whole quilt should look like

I bought some peacock fabric online which I'll use in the fan of the tail feathers.
I'll cover the lampshade with some of the fabric, too.
I'm having my daughters paint white muslin with peacock colors. I'll cut it up and do free motion embroidery with it. I can use that on the lampshade and in the quilt.
I will probably make some kind of medallion inside the quilt. Not sure yet. I have some empty wall space. It will look good on my wall!

Knowing me, I'll probably make some couch pillows and even some kind of doll too. Maybe something like a centaur- instead of half horse, half man, it can be half peacock half woman!

I am sure this is going to take forever and a day. But sometimes those are the projects that are the most meaningful! Especially when they are done in a group. And the best group is family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!