Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mexican Bead Collage

This is probably one of the most interesting things I've seen in a long time. It's an art form from Mexico- a great find by a neighbor who vistited a few years ago. This piece hangs on her livingroom wall and has my greatest admiration!
The story behind it is just as interesting. It's made by a certain tribe called Huicotl.
Believe it or not, they were once cannibals!
She found this while wandering in some kind of an open market. People from the tribe were sitting there, creating and selling their work. And what spectacular work it is! Just look at these details...
The whole thing is a layer of beeswax (I think mixed with another substance, I'm not certain what), rolled flat and spread over something like a coconut, to form a kind of mask. The eyes are cut out. The work is done in the sun, to keep the beeswax warm and pliable. With tweezers, the artist carefully places beads in a pattern.
Is this incredible or what?

I think it's amazing.
The catch: if this gets hit by the sun- the whole thing could melt!
Oh and the price: a "whopping" $70.
Can you believe it????? A very well-spent $70, that is for sure!

Maybe one day I'll try this technique on a doll. Then again, maybe not! I doubt if I could duplicate this skill! I'm just astounded. Aren't you?

2 comments:

  1. Jan Lipinski5:54 AM

    My daughter in law's brother had something very similar...His was on wood and was about 12inches by 6 inches. It was a cow type animal. My daughter in law was given an armadillo by her brother who owns the cow. He said they are pretty expensive...I luved it when I saw it, the cow....and a few months later when I'm in my sons new house I see this same art only an armadillo. And I commented on it and she gave it to me....hayoooo....Jan L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you're right - this is amazing -- well spent seventy bucks. Love your blog. Will be back again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!