Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Confessions of a Dress Maker

Earlier this month, I posted about a new pattern I have been tossing around in my mind, and it's been quite some time in the works. I am pleased to finally be able to say that I've made some major progress after struggling with the dress. I don't know about you other doll makers out there, but garments are the most time-consuming, labor-intensive thing for me. This is especially true when I am working from scratch without a pattern to guide me and tell me what to do. I know it's my own shortcoming, but I inevitably always blame it on the doll's sassy personality! It's always her fault, and she always gets dressed on her own terms- whenever she's good and ready! What hutzpeh, eh?

Now that that's behind me, Check out her lavish new coat of many colors, made of silk and [believe it or not] upholstery fabric. I got the silk from Pamela Armas a couple of years ago, when I intended to participate in (but missed out on) an annual "Treasures of the Gypsy" challenge. It's been a while. But the fabric was too pretty and the doll really wanted it.
Look look look... oo la la!
Front View
(Yes, I know we are missing something for the time being....but it allows the scallops of the coat to show.) It was a random idea I had and I love the way it turned out. The combination of fabrics allows the coat to hold the shape and flairs very nicely.

The next order of business here is going to be the doll's skirt. I want some type of renaissance-looking thing that "poofs out." I imagine an old-fashioned "bird cage" type thing to go underneath the skirt, to hold it in place.
Here's a rough sketch of what I am envisioning. Click on the image to enlarge. When it shrunk down, it became very light.

This "hoop apparatus" will be part of the pattern. Looks like tomorrow will be hardware store day. Once the skirt is complete, I'll embellish the costume and give her a face. She will probably be a whimsical lady although she is still on the fancy side. I still have not decided what color her hair will be. I guess she will tell me when I get that far. I think I am over the "hump" now, but I bet there is still a ways to go.

If you are interested in this pattern and would like to be notified when it is ready, you may visit my website and use the "contact me" button to send me a message to that effect. I will add your name to my "pattern friend" list. When the pattern is ready, I will be sure to let you know. I promise, it will be well worth the wait!

1 comment:

  1. I think the "Art Doll' Bug is creeping up into my brain...and I am getting excited to view your whole blog! This is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!