Sunday, April 19, 2015

SMITTEN WITH MITTENS -- Making Prettier Hands for Cloth Dolls

If you've tried your "hand" at cloth doll making, I'm sure you've seen different ways of making hands.   I'd like to talk about the kind of hands that have all the fingers sewn together like mittens.  They're not just for beginners!


Often cloth doll patterns offer "advanced" and "beginner" hands for the same doll- advanced being those with five fingers which need to be turned carefully and skillfully.  The "beginner" patterns are plain old mittens.  That leads you to believe that to make a more beautiful and realistic hand, you need to make the fingers separate (which can be a royal pain).  After years of subscribing to that theory, I've changed my mind.  I think the "mitten" type hands can be more elegant and realistic.



Mitten hands are basically just a stump with the thumb sewn on separately.


Sometimes it's nice to make just two fingers together.  It's a nice, elegant pose.



This is my favorite type of cloth doll hand.  I hope you will try it!







2 comments:

  1. What kind of fabric are you using for the hands? I think they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kacey,
    Thanks for your comment!
    The fabric I used is by Robert Kaufman. Most fabric shops will have solid colors. Look for one that has a skin tone.

    You've inspired me to post something about fabric in the future. I'll try to whip something up in the near future! :-)
    Happy dolling and thank you for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!